Saturday 30 May 2015

The good ol times. WAIT im only 35



I am 35 years old. I never felt old until recently. My new work phone is the Boss's daughters old phone. So now I get random texts about homework. I let her know about it and she said she would get her teachers to switch her number so she would start getting the texts again. I found this quite interesting. It never occurred to me that this is how students would get reminders of homework. We joked about it as I never had cell phones in school. I said, I graduated in 1997. She laughed and said "I wasn't even born yet". 


BAM.... 
thats the moment I felt old. 

But it got me to thinking. How things are changing. Things have changed. When I was in school cell phones were non existent. I sat thinking back to when I was a teenager. There was no personal phone that was mine. If you were lucky you had your own phone in your room, if you were even luckier, you had your own line. I had neither. The times of prank calls are over for kids with caller id. The times of calling your crush are over with caller id. I remember when getting a second line was the coolest thing going.... Are you with me? Have I made you feel old too? If not, lets keep going.

I believe this is how my parents felt thinking back to things I will never have experienced. The 5 cent chocolate bars or 25 cent movies. A&W drive in.. I will be telling my children my stories and they will feel the same way as I did. It was interesting, but they will never know. Never know the pain of dialing a rotary phone. Make a mistake, start over again. #@$#. Ever tried to book concert tickets on one of those babies? haha. Good luck!




Even that, tickets. There was a time where if you wanted a good seat, you sat in line, possibly camped out in line at Ticket Master. Now, online, you just click. There is no pain of dialing in and hoping you get a good seat, you refresh your screen and the computer will help you out. Simple as pie

My first car came with a tape player. Cd's would come not long after but for the time being, as a child, all I knew was tapes. I am sure that like most of you, your tapes got stuck once at least once!! Pulling all that shit out of the tape player mad as hell. Using something to wind the tape back in. If it broke, you were really mad!




I remember as a teenager listening to the top 20 songs and waiting to press record on my stereo so that I could have my song recorded on tape. There was no itunes, no internet for that matter. As sad as it sounds, that is what I did. And the god damn dj talked right up until the song started so they ruined the beginning. Lyrics.... Anyone remember Snow, Informer? God help you if you knew even half of what he was saying, but if the lyrics were not in the tape booklet I remember sitting watching a taped video with lyrics from Much Music and doing play by play on pause so I could write down the words. Yes, not only am I old, but I am real cool too. haha. Today, you type in the computer. Its so easy....



Even the internet is something that when it came out, is nothing like it is today. To download one picture you could go make yourself lunch and slice by slice the picture would appear. SERIOUSLY.... And dial up internet that was hooked to your phone so in the middle of downloading said picture if someone picks up the phone, there goes the internet connection. It makes me laugh thinking back. I remember thinking....Internet huh... Ok, whats so great about it. 




My school research was done by going to the library and hunting down the right books to take out and use for whatever project or essay I was doing. Now....... yes, internet. Man these kids have it easy. 



I even remember our tv. It was one of those huge wooden box tv's that sat on the floor. I am sure it had 13 channels. Thats it!!!!! So when you are flipping through your 100+ channels thinking there is nothing to watch.... Ya, tell me about it. 



I remember when we got our first cable box and I thought we were living in luxury.  



All this and I am only 35. 
Its amazing how fast things change.


What things do you remember?



Have you read my last post? Click here


Share the Joy linky at bodfortea.co.uk
Modern Dad Pages

20 comments:

  1. My daughter and I were in Camden Market the other day and she saw several telephone handsets and couldn't believe we really used those! I also explained they were usually in a central location so everyone could hear most of your conversations. She said, "That's child abuse!" Ha!

    #WeekendBlogHop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha terrible. They will never know the pain. And when you had a long cord to walk around, that was great!!!

      Thanks so much for reading and commenting :)

      Delete
  2. (I should explain I work as a support worker with young people, mostly around the 20ish age range.)

    I wondered into the Lounge at work, and saw Jurassic Park was on. I talked about remembering when it came out at cinema... The realisation that most of the people in the lounge weren't born when Jurassic Park came out sent me away to count my gray hairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I remember sitting in the theatre watching it!!! Loved your comment :)

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  3. Ahhhh the good ol' days (aka the nightmare) of using things like dial up!! #wineandboobs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha right? Thanks so much for reading and for commenting :)

      Delete
  4. It is amazing!!! I'm 36 and appreciate every point you make in the post. I tell my kids about the time before google and sky + - they can't even fathom it! lol Let alone manually looking up things in the library. It's unbelievable how quickly technology has taken over. Great post! #wineandboobs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I am sure when my kids will become the age to understand they will think I am a dinosaur hahaha

      Delete
  5. Ticket Master!! The pain...

    Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Thank you so much! Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment :)

      Delete
  6. HAHAHA!! Your post is wicked!! I love the tape one and recording from radio. Here's one. You had no mobile so you would go to a BT phone box and the operator would give you a one minute call to someone for free rather than pay 10p minimum at the time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I REMEMBER that. Hilarious. I am so glad you liked my post :)

      Delete
  7. balls, now I feel I old too. Lol thanks for sharing #wineandboobs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahahahahaha your post made me laugh out loud. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment :)

      Delete
  8. LOVE, love, love this post! Oh my how old I feel. I'm 34 and you've just described my childhood too - I'm in the UK and when I was growing up we only 4 (yes, 4!) channels on the TV. I remember sitting by the stereo waiting to push heavy buttons to record the radio too! Haha, so we can be cool together! ;)
    And oh boy, research in the library too HOURS! These days it's just a few clicks away. Like you said, these kids have it easy.
    Absolutely brilliant post hun. Really made me smile. :) #sharethejoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I am so glad I am not alone on being cool hehe. Thanks so much for reading and commenting. It sure made my day :)

      Delete
  9. I completely LOVED our bakerlite phone when I was growing up - it had the BEST ring - and so wished that my parents hadn't trashed it for an ultra-modern (at the time!) trim phone. So many memories - now I'm feeling super old too at 42! But ahhhh happy times when life was simpler eh? Although, come to think of it, researching without the internet took sooo long! Thanks for linking this up at #sharethejoy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Research DID take long. Thanks so much for reading and commenting

      Delete
  10. This is so true - and so weird, as the blog post I just uploaded is about feeling old now (I'm 32).
    I remember all these things - especially sitting by the radio for hours on end, waiting patiently to tape my fav song of the moment the second it came on.
    Also prank calling people from phone boxes (do they even exist anymore?)
    I love nostalgia so I enjoyed this post. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember those days too! I worked in a library and had to manually update all those paper things that now appear on the Internet a the click of a button. Thank,you for the trip down memory lane. #morganprince

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts