Wednesday 17 June 2015

Driving intexticated





Texting and driving. I am not sure I know anyone who has not done it. Before it became illegal to do so I never even thought of it as a problem. The thing is... It is a huge problem! 




I think it is safe to say we can all spot the person who is texting and driving. The person who is constantly braking, the one drifting lanes, the person who is going too slow. You pass them and yep... cell phone. 

It wasn't until this law took effect that I really paid attention to why it was such a problem and how big of a problem it is. Statistics vary however one said that 23% of vehicle collisions involve a cell phone. That is almost a quarter of accidents due to talking or texting. 

I know the pull a cell phone has. I understand the need to feel you HAVE to return that message, or you HAVE to look and see what he/she said. But in reality, when you look at it further... Can it wait? 

I never had a text that was worth my life, my children's life or someone else's life. Because there isnt a text that is worth it. Problem is... I dont think that people will ever get it. Majority yes, but I dont believe that we as a society will ever fully get through to people. 

I have argued with people close to me. Put the damn phone down. Not only are we at risk, we put others at risk. I don't want to live my life knowing I killed someone, or disabled them because I needed to text or talk on my phone. I have picked it up, and immediately thought "Would this be worth jail time"? What if I caused a deadly collision. I kill someone, possibly myself, someone else. I leave their family missing a loved one and I leave my daughters because of something so minor. 


It is no secret now that I am the poster child for anxiety. I worry a lot while I drive. I take notice to how others drive and what they are doing around me. It is amazing, that even though we have the Distracted Driving Law, people will always still text or talk on their phone. Always!

It is a scary thought. I have my babies with me in my vehicle. They are 2 & 4. Would they be able to survive a crash because of someones need to text? My phone goes in my purse and stays there while I drive. If I miss a text or a call, well... so be it. My life and my children's and anyone else's life is more important that my damn phone. I wish everyone felt the same way. 

77% of people feel they are very confident that they can safely text and drive. 


77%!!!!

55% of people feel it is easy to text and drive. 

It is said that people who text and drive spend 10% of their driving time outside of their lane. 


It only takes a second. 

I don't believe this can be prevented. I feel it is like drunk driving. There will always be those people who feel they are ok, they can do it better than the rest. It will be ok. Unfortunately, I think the only way these people will learn is by experience of loss. Driving while drunk and killing another, someone driving drunk and killing your loved one. Same as texting.. Will they get it unless it happens to them? Sadly, in my opinion, I think not.

Of all the preventative videos I have seen this one stuck with me the most. 

I am not an advocate on  texting and driving. I am just another mom out there driving her children around amoungst these people. I wish we could get through to them all.. I wish they could potentially see what they could destroy by a simple message. I wish....


This video I think speaks volumes





The next time you're driving and you hear your phone, think this.... Is it worth a life?




Have you read my last post? Click here





21 comments:

  1. It scares the hell out of me when I see people driving and using the cell phone in any manner. Not only young people - I see a lot of tradesmen on the phone, looking for an address or talking to someone about God knows what. If it is that important, PULL OVER AND TALK.........very touching video. Uncle Keven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is super scary. I hate it!!! Pull over and talk is right!

      Delete
  2. Such a moving post/video and I really needed to read it. A couple of months ago I got distracted by my phone ringing (I knew it was an important international call)...I'm thankful I was driving alone, I didn't hit anyone, I clipped a wall but the damage to my car was cosmetic and nothing serious. All I can say is I learnt my lesson!! Thanks for linking up to #happyquacks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you need to scare yourself into stopping. That was the point I was trying to make too, that I think that is what it will have to take for most people. Its sad really. But its also reality.

      Thank you so much for your comment and taking the time to read my post

      Delete
  3. I definitely can not text and drive and the whole idea that some people think that they can is scary! Very interesting post, thanks for linking up to the #bestandworst and hope to see you again next week!

    Helen X

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beyond selfish to text while driving. It's one of my massive bugbears, especially as a pedestrian who walks everywhere with my son in his buggy (stroller). I feel it's us who will bare the brunt of such selfish thoughtless behaviour, when an out of control car veers up on to the path. We also have the same law in the UK and quite rightly. It's a law for a reason. Anyone who thinks they are above it have just proved they cant be trusted and should have the licence removed. Thanks for raising the point #effitfriday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I completely agree. The amount of people not watching where they are going is scary. You can not rely on the driver nowadays you have to rely on yourself and drive defensively and I guess when you are walking too.

      Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment :)

      Delete
  5. I have always said the best way to create a world of safe drivers is to install a spike on ever steering wheel instead of airbags, you crash you die! people feel too safe while driving and that causes them to be more confident than they should be. I think when driverless cars are perfected (which surely won't be long) safety will improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lets hope safety improves somehow. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment :)

      Delete
  6. Totally agree! If (like me) you are one of those people who just can't ignore their phone and you are driving a long way, pull over and read your text/answer your call. Or put your phone on silent, so you're not as aware of it! #effitfriday
    Debbie
    www.myrandommusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put mine in my purse and have to ignore it. It just is not worth that risk. No matter the pull of wanting to look and see who it is, what did they say and so on.

      Thank you Debbvie for reading and commenting :)

      Delete
  7. This is pretty frightening reading. Not that we do it - we have a handsfree, so if it's urgent enough people can call and we can answer safely but texting!? Yeesh. #bestandworst

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If everyone was handsfree it would be fantastic. Thanks so much for reading my post :)

      Delete
  8. Susan this scares me too and totally annoys me! I must admit I don't put my phone in my bag and would glance at it when stationary but I would never text and drive. I would never pick it up and drive. It's too risky! I heard that being on the phone you are in the same as being drunk reaction time wise. Great post and thanks again for linking up with #bestandworst Please come back next time xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I have heard as well. I am sure people know that so it is amazing they still do it :(

      Thanks so much for reading and commenting

      Delete
  9. This is such an important message Susan, I see so many people talking on the phone or texting while they're driving, in fact a woman drifted right out of her lane on the motorway (freeway) in front of me yesterday because she was on her phone and I had to beep my horn to get her attention so she realised! Thanks for linking this up at #sharethejoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is terrible isn't it? I think it is just another thing like drinking and driving. We will work hard to stop it but there will always be the ones who believe they are ok doing it. So sad

      Delete
  10. We found that this made it so much more fun to communicate, and we were able to set up the service to make our lives that much easier. We have no wasted any time talking since we found the service, and we are so happy that we are able to talk in ways that are so much more fun than ever before.

    Joanne Krueger @ Kurtz And Blum

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, that right, texting and using cell phones is a huge problem. I agree with all those statistics because I am myself horrified to see how many young people are using their phone while driving. I think, it may have to do with the prevalence of social media, skypes and high-tech gadgets. Our world has really changed a lot.

    Kim Hunter @ KHunterLaw

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with you. Clearly people need to take this more seriously. The percentage of people who believe they can safely text and drive a vehicle without causing an accident or killing is totally astounding. Too many people on the roadways are texting and driving and they make people nervous even to be on the road. There is no difference between being drunk and texting because both are distractions and impairments.

    Stephanie Waters @ Chastaine Law

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts